Sunday, September 20, 2009

What's Hot

Recently I had to interview some people about trends and what's cool for one of my internships. And by the way, if you were one of the people I talked to, I really appreciate the time you took to talk to me.

Anyway, it kind of got me thinking about how trends get started and are determined. I'm sure that this topic has been beaten to death, but it is interesting how we sort of adopt certain values and tastes just by being exposed to them even without being taught.

I mean really, if you just look at how some people dress, I'm thinking specifically about "bros" although you may know them as "douchebags" and sadly, that's not a joke, it's amazing that they think they look good. With the backwards cap, sloppy basketball style jersey and the studs in their eyebrows, you gotta think that somewhere out there is a mother cowering in shame. Either that or a proud father high fiving other dads over a six-pack or three.

It's weird how we make determinations in our mind that some people are cool and some aren't. I can't say that I haven't done or don't do that. But I like to think I'm smart enough to know that some people just have "it," a coolness that seems to ooze from within that can't be duplicated.

But then there are the unfortunate who don't realize that and try to copy it anyway. Some say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. But I think it can also be the purest form of stupidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment