Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Guess who's gay

We had a thing at Barrett tonight called "Guess Who's Gay." They brought up a panel of CAs and we in the crowd got to ask them pretty much any question and at the end tried to guess who was gay, straight, or other.

It was kind of interesting and pretty amusing. It was kind of shocking how open the people were though and I don't know if that would be something I could do. The idea of sexuality has come a long way and even though I have no training in this subject at all and know nothing about the history of it, I do know that society today is far more comfortable with far more things than we were even 10 years ago.

I guess some people would consider that a good thing. I don't really know where I stand on this. In a lot of ways it's good that we have this opennness and acceptance, but I think that also opens the door for a lot of things which are just flat out wrong.

As usual I don't really know where I was going with this. But the activity tonight actually was a pretty interesting exercise in how we stereotype people and what we think defines and determines sexuality. I can't say I think we're moving in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment