Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Oven

Having gone to school at Arizona State for a year now, I really appreciate the great weather we have here in Southern California. It really hit me again today when I flew in from Phoenix. Stepping off the plane at John Wayne was marvelous.

I mean understand that it really was like around a 20 degree difference. I thought I would be fine with the heat and I'm pretty used to it at this point, but I think I did underestimate it a bit. Temperature is one of those things that I think you can't really get unless you've experienced it. I mean I've heard about low temperatures and how cold it gets in the Midwest and up north and such, but, despite having spent Christmases in Boston and Minneapolis, I really can't say I've been in anything too cold. Maybe something like 40-50 is the coldest I've actually been out in, not the crazy negative temperatures with windchill.

The heat is the same way. The first time I went to Tempe last year (and, as I've found out, every subsequent return in the summer) I was really amazed at the scorching heat. In the summer, we may get like 90s in Irvine or maybe up to 100 or something in the LA area, but there is a huge gap between 110 and 100. The level of heat feels completely different. Opening a door really feels like opening the door into an oven as the sun just bakes and scorches you.

I don't know why I chose this topic for today. Think of it as a poorly written love note from me to the pleasant conditions in Irvine which I get to experience for another day and a half before returning to the sun scorched valley of the devils' gate, or whatever that announcer says before our football games.

No comments:

Post a Comment