Monday, February 6, 2012

Nom nom

I love food. It's so good. I literally cannot live without food, and if you're a human being (or living being, I guess), I'm willing to bet that you can't either.

Because of this simple, undeniable fact, if I were to make even the strictest of strict contracts, food would be the last thing I cut out. I mean of course, it's not like I would be eating at fancy places every day, but it wouldn't be possible to live without it.

I've been blessed enough to have never gone a day without food, but for me, even when I go several hours without eating, it's not fun. Feeling hungry and weak is one of the worst feelings in the world and I can only guess what true hunger must be like.

The Bible tells us that it, the Word of God, is spiritual food for us as believers. In Matthew 4:4 Jesus says, "Man does not live by bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God." Hebrews 5 also tells us that as we mature as Christians we continue to need "solid food."

So why is it so easy for me to ignore my spiritual food, not just for hours, but sometimes for days at a time? And when I do take the time to read the Bible, often it's just enough to make myself stop feeling guilty. Contrast that with when I eat regular food, when I exhibit little (or no) self-control and keep going far beyond when I stop being hungry, even sometimes beyond when I start feeling full.

Sometimes I feel like my spiritual life is lacking, and it's abundantly clear why. You don't eat, you don't live.

1 comment: