Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Pinnacle

Watching the Olympics always makes me think what it must be like to be at the top of something. To be literally the best person in the world at one thing and have a medal to back you up.

I've rarely been the best at anything and there are a lot of things that I'm not even very good at so it's pretty unfathomable for me to think of what it's like to be THE best.

But in watching these elite athletes and competitors, I don't think they're even thinking about that. Maybe that desire to be on top is what pushes them in training, but when I see them work and sweat and push in competition and collapse in elation at the end, it seems to me that they're more just proud of themselves and excited that all the hard work they put in paid off. And even those that don't finish first or second or third often look happy. Just to be able to compete in an event as great as the Olympics and represent your country is enough for them.

These athletes celebrate not just in their talent and victories but in achieving a goal and finishing what they set out to do. And for them that's enough. For them, it's not about a podium or a shiny medal, it's about the thrill of competition and the joy and satisfaction of a job well done. That's their pinnacle.

No comments:

Post a Comment