Friday, February 19, 2010

2 Fails with one stone

So....you may or may not have noticed that a couple days ago I noted I was returning to a blog post a day. Clearly this has not happened as now two days have elapsed without a post.

The first night wasn't really my fault. I was planning on posting after watching Hot Tub Time Machine and then my roommate's intramural soccer game. Everything was done by 10 so I figured I could get it done.

Little did I know the internet in the entire Barrett complex would be down until a little after 2 AM, which was also the time I decided to stop waiting for it to come back and go to sleep.

And then yesterday...I just completely dropped the ball. No excuses there.

In thinking about how I would explain all of this though, I did have some interesting thoughts on accountability. It seems like it's almost a dirty word in modern society and to be held accountable is almost like being kept prisoner or something. I feel like more and more people don't want to be held accountable for anything, searching for ways to pass the bill to someone else.

I don't think it's blame that people are scared about but responsibility. It's easy to combine the two, but really they're different things.

For example in my scenario, I set a goal for myself to post a new blog post every day. I obviously failed on the very first day. Am I to blame for that? I don't believe so because of the circumstances outlined above. But am I responsible for not hitting my self-imposed deadline? Yes, completely. Had this been something actually important or of real significance, I could have made some efforts to get it up. So in that respect, it's on me.

I don't know, just some ramblings from me as usual. Look for 2 more over the course of the day for me to try to get myself back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment