Friday, November 6, 2009

Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/103933

Being in college, it's weird to think about what a smaller scale high school was on. I went to a high school with maybe a few hundred people in each class and that combined with the fact that I took mostly honors classes, I pretty much saw the same people each day and knew all of them. With that, it's pretty easy to get a sense of what each person is like, especially intelligence-wise since a lot of our interactions were in a classroom setting.

Basically what I'm trying to get at is in high school, you can tell if someone is just a little slower or maybe just having a little trouble with a concept or something. And then you also know if someone has a learning disability of some sort.

In college with so many people, you don't really know what the case is. I mean you can still sort of tell if someone just needs to have that "light bulb" moment, but then sometimes it does seem like a learning disability is the only explanation.

One of the hardest things to do is get into someone else's mindset since we all learn and process things differently. And I don't like to really say anything or judge anyone based on that because there might be something going that I don't know about, but at the same time it can be hard to feel bad when it seems like they're just not putting in the time or effort.

I don't know, I think I have a different perspective because school has been something I've considered important for most of my life. I guess that's natural since it's really one of the only things I'm good at. On the other hand it's sort of a cultural thing as well since we've been encouraged to go to school and do well so we can get a good job and so on and so forth. But there are definitely those for whom school is a real burden and probably just not the best option.

Is there a medium that lies between what we have now when it seems like you need an education to have a career and the past where apprenticeships were the way to go and you were pretty much born into an occupation.

Just throwing down some thoughts, hope no one was offended as that was definitely not my intent.

No comments:

Post a Comment