Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Shannon Brown: Huge Vertical and...not much

Shannon Brown's been with the Lakers for a couple years now, and there's no doubt he's a super athletic bench player who can electrify any crowd with his high flying dunks.

I made a random comment on Facebook saying I thought he was more of a waste than Sasha Vujacic. It's been something I've been observing throughout the playoffs, but I was wondering if I was right. I'm not talking about his fit in the triangle or how he doesn't really fit as a point guard, but just looking at his stats, I was looking for some vindication.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/2010.html

Taking a look at his playoff stats is...interesting. I don't pretend to be a statistician or even good at statistics, but still I think a basic look can tell us something.

Of the 13 players on the roster, eight have played over 200 minutes. Of those players, Brown has the lowest PER (a decent enough measure of per-minute production) and effective field goal percentage (which adjusts for 3-pointers being worth more than a 2-pointer). His total rebound rate and true shooting percentage are both second worst (in front of Derek Fisher and Ron Artest, respectively). He also has the lowest offensive rating of all 13 players except Luke Walton. There's also WS/48, which is an estimate of the number of wins contributed by a player per 48 minutes. The league average is 0.1000. Once again, Shannon is behind everyone except Luke Walton with a WS/48 of 0.031. To put that in perspective, he is far behind everyone on the Boston Celtics, including Marquis Daniels (0.066), Tony Allen (0.098), and Glen "Big Baby" Davis (0.156).

Simply put, I feel vindicated. I really think that, in this case, the numbers do confirm what the naked eye observes. Which is a slightly less harsh version of my assertion that Shannon Brown is a waste of flesh, bone and fast twitch muscle.

No comments:

Post a Comment