Friday, April 2, 2010

Quick Hits: Clash of the Titans

Went to go see Clash of the Titans earlier tonight. The trailers looked pretty dumb so I had my expectations firmly set at around 300ish levels. As long as it provided some sweet action scenes and good fight sequences, I'd be satisfied. Anyway.

- They didn't actually botch the Perseus myth as badly as I thought they might have. Of course, a lot of things weren't as according to the original myth but it was excusable.

- There was a lot of dialogue, not enough fighting. There were really only a handful, and they weren't that great.

- None of the Titans make a single appearance. They only get one mention in the entire movie and that's during the opening voiceover when it's explained that Zeus and the Olympians overthrew the Titans. Strange that they're not a part of the film at all considering it's called Clash of the Titans.

- Everyone hoping for an epic battle with the kraken, you can forget it. This was probably the only part of the movie I was actually disappointed with. There's really no fighting at all, just an extended sequence of it rising up. What happens after that is extremely short.

- The gods really weren't in it much at all either. Zeus and Hades play a big role, but beyond that, pretty much only Apollo and Poseidon have lines at all.

- It was pretty hard for me to take Mads Mikkelsen as Draco (not Malfoy) seriously. When he first came out, I thought it was the Rock, but then after I recognized who it was, I wanted to shout out "Le Chiffre" every time he came on screen.

- The Perseus/Io dynamic was...odd. I'll leave it at that.

- Can we officially give up on Sam Worthington as a leading man? I've seen him in Terminator Salvation, Avatar and Clash of the Titans. Avatar was the only one out of the three that was decent, and that was more due to the concept, cinematography and computer graphics. Put that aside and those three movies were pretty brutal, especially from an acting standpoint. To me, he seems more fit as a "grunt" character, maybe a secondary hero/villain who just kicks butt and doesn't say much.

No comments:

Post a Comment