Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Ritual

To be perfectly honest I was thinking about writing a long-ish post about ritual since I'm taking a class on it this semester and there were some interesting things I was thinking about. Some of these things were like what exactly constitutes a ritual, how and from where it derives meaning, the significance of the separation between thought and action, etc. But then I got lazy and also realized I really wouldn't have much to say on the matter so I figured a little story might suffice.

Tonight I went to the market to grab a Nestle Toll House ice cream sandwich. What can I say, those things are amazing. A stack of vanilla ice cream sitting in between two delicious chocolate chip cookies? You gotta be kidding me. So good. But I digress.

Anyway I took it up to the register and the girl working there asked me I wanted a receipt. I told her that I would, and as I stood there waiting as it came out of the machine. She grabbed it, ripped it, and turned around and threw it in the trash. She didn't seem to notice I was there so I just walked away.

What if I had really need that receipt? Why did she bother asking if she wasn't going to give it to me anyway? Did she really want to know if I wanted it or was she just trained to ask? And if she was trained to ask, what good is that training?

1 comment:

  1. 1. I have the code for prebuy tickets for legally blonde. when can you go? and how much are you willing to pay? and who else do you think would want to go with us? lol can you tell I'm excited??
    2. It makes me sad too that your blogspot is slowly dying too... Give it a little boost! :)
    3. Rereading this post is making me really want an ice cream sandwich...
    4. I'm sure I had more to tell you about but I can't remember right now lol

    ReplyDelete