Sunday, July 17, 2011

Quick Hits: WWC Final

I'll be honest. This is the first women's world cup game I've caught this year. Still, the combination of national pride and all the intensity that comes with the final in an international competition such as this was too much to ignore. Random pre-game thoughts.

- I had no idea what Hope Solo sounded like. Her voice was a lot higher and softer than I was expecting. Not important just random.

- I really wouldn't sleep on Japan. They've beaten some very good teams to make it thus far. Their technical style, ball movement, and execution can cause problems for Team USA if they are unprepared or sloppy.

- It looks like US coach Pia Sundhage has moved Lauren Cheney up and reinserted Megan Rapinoe into the starting lineup at left midfield. Rapinoe's been a sparkplug off the bench and the American offense is much better with her on the field, creating more (and better) shots. We'll see if it makes a difference when she goes the whole 90 as opposed to subbing in for 40 (or so) minutes.

- The montages showing the '99 championship team reminded me how epic those players were. Mia Hamm, Julie Foudy, Michelle Akers, Brandi Chastain, etc. What a talented group.

That's about it. Like I said I haven't really watched much and the game's about to start. Go go USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment